11.20.2008

michelle, my belle


I've been told that I have a bit of an obsessive personality. It's true; if I find something I really love, like a certain Longchamp purse ... or a particular pair of gold Nine West flats ... or, I don't know, string cheese (what?), I tend to carry, wear or eat one type of thing until I become completely sick of it and never want to see it again.

This routine also pertains to music. While watching Grey's Anatomy or old episodes of Dawson's Creek and Felicity (once again - what?), I'm constantly on the lookout for whiney, Sarah McLachlan-esque tunes, which I then download and proceed to completely play out. Enter Michelle Featherstone.

First of all, she's British and she plays the piano and she's just so damn pretty. More than anything, though, she sings what I lovingly refer to as "kill me now" songs. You know, the kind you listen to when you're already so sad, but you still want to play the most heart-wrenching song you can think of. And then you play it over ... and over ... and over again. Sure, they pretty much make me want to stab myself in the eye, but those kind of songs really are my favorite. And Michelle Featherstone is my favorite, too — at least for now.

Download: "I'm There Too." I love.

1 comment:

Clare said...

You and I are exactly alike in that respect--both in the love of depressing music, and the tendency to play (and eat and wear) stuff obsessively! Thanks for the tip. Have you discovered A Fine Frenzy? She's one of my newest ultra-depressing faves.