3.17.2009

running scared

Back in December, my mom and I decided it would be a good idea to sign up for a 10-mile race. That race, which at the time seemed eons away, is now in 19 days. I thought that when I got to this point in my "training" I would feel prepared and confident—you know, at least be able to keep up with my badass of a mother.

But, alas, I do not feel even an ounce of badassness. In fact, I am in such a nauseous, panicked state that I don’t blame my Nanny for unabashedly looking at me as if I’ve lost my mind whenever I bring up this little torture session I’ve willingly signed myself up for. What has forever been a far-off feat, something that would happen much, much, MUCH later, is taking place in just 2.5 weeks whether I like it or not. I am officially scared.

So, tonight I succumbed to the heaven on earth that is Tuesday-night television, but tomorrow I will force myself to run, nonstop, for as long as my pasty, moley legs will carry me. And if I pass out … or barf … or fling myself on to the Fairfax County Parkway to put myself out of my misery, the Goddess of All Things Hardcore will be right there to keep me going.

Oh…..Kelly Clarkson! This is going to royally suck.

3 comments:

Courtenay said...

That is quite the goal! I have trouble running a block:-) I have a feeling your mom will be just the push you need to run this race!

Janet said...

Sara you are the ultimate skinny-but-bad ass! It is your determination and sense of humor that has kept me in this "race." Who else but you could have convinced a 52 year-old couch potato to sign up for a ten mile challenge? We are going to do this and we are going to strut around NOVA sporting our Cherry Blossom Ten Mile Run t-shirts until they fall apart from too much wear. Slow and steady wins the race. xo

Newly Nalevanko said...

You're gonna be awesome! I'm so proud of you and your momma!