4.20.2010

a little love note on your 67th day.

Would you care for some buttermilk biscuits with those thighs?

Bugs,

Last week you turned 2 months old, which, to your proud-slash-crazy mom, is simultaneously exciting and heartbreaking. Before I go any further, let's get one thing straight, shall we? This "growing up" business ends now, got it? Good.

So....since you're going to stay this age for the rest of your life, it's a good thing you're such a fun baby now. You smile and coo and even laugh a little bit. In fact, I like to think you're giggling while thinking to yourself, "Momma, you're freakin' hilarious!" because - let's face it - when will my precious children ever really find me even mildly funny? Um, let me think, NEVER.

Anyway, I was thinking the other night about the first few days after you were born. Your soon-to-be buddy's mom, Courtenay, came by to love on you, and we got to talking about the "WTF just happened to my life?!?" reality that is having a newborn. I can admit now that it was hard for me to sit there listening to her only a few short days after the most life-altering day of my life. Sure, you were this little bundle of pure sugar, but, frankly, you scared the shit out of me, and here was Courtenay, looking completely together...and rested...and like she had a real handle on this whole motherhood thing. The main point she was trying to get through my greasy-haired head: it WILL get easier. I may have been nodding my head, but inside I didn't really believe it. I honestly thought I was doomed to walk around like a zombie for eternity, complete with bloodshot eyes and barf-covered flannel pants. Yep, the Hot Mess Express had pulled into the station and I was the new conductor. All aboard!

But, the thing is, it is easier. As you get bigger...and sweeter...and more predictable, it truly gets easier every single day. And let me be clear, Sam...although I was a wee bit shell shocked upon your arrival, I was head-over-heels for you (and your crooked ear, and your perfect lips) from day one. It's just that now, 67 days later, I'm even more in love with you than I was yesterday. Unfortunately for you, I don't see this growing obsession ending anytime soon, which is why you need to refer back to paragraph one and vow to stay this way forever and spend the rest of your days with me...sitting on the couch in our pajamas, singing "I love you, a bushel and a peck" and crying our eyes out. Okay, okay - I'll admit I'm the one that's usually bawling. What can I say? I may be getting the hang of being a mom, but you and those baby blues still bring me to tears multiple times a day. Once a hot mess, always a hot mess.

I love you like crazy,
Mom

6 comments:

The Geary's said...

Everything about this post makes me smile:-) Glad to read you and Sam are doing so well and I can't wait to see him again and, of course, you!

Brielle said...

Does his little bouncy seat actually have lamb ears on it?! I love it!

Janet Scott said...

And I love you exactly like that.

Newly Nalevanko said...

You make me want to be a momma, Sar! I agree, how does Court make it look so f-ing easy?!?!

RKoepp said...

Sara, you know khow I feel about my little boy Anson (Although I guess he's all grown up now, but I can pretend, can't I?)He was the greatest joy in my entire life and, of course, still is. Hard Mothering definitely can pay off. Look, he's almost perfect (ha, ha). You're doing a fantastic job as a Mother! Sam is a very lucky munchkin.

Si Si said...

Sure looks like he is well nourished with those chunky legs!! He is absolutely adorable. You are right Courtney makes it all look so easy and also manages to look marvelous. So happy to know you are enjoying every moment of every day with Sweet Sam; out and about or just hanging out in your sweats! I am incredibly impressed with your laid back attitude. Hugs and kisses to the Baltimore Brownies!!!