12.31.2010

a little love note on new year's eve.

My homeboys. New Year's Eve 2010.

Dear Sam,

I know I'm going to sound like a total cheeseball mother when I say this, but I am a total cheeseball mother, so here it goes...

Where oh where has the time gone?

It was just 365 days ago that I was reclining on our beat-up old couch in Baltimore, belly stretched to the limit (or so I thought), sipping on yet another caffeine-free Diet Coke, writing you my very first love note. Oh, what a hot mess I was then. No make-up, hair in a knot, sweatpants -- oh, wait a second, that's what I'm wearing right now! Preggo or not, I am always a vision in elastic. Man oh man, your dad is one lucky guy.

Anyway....

Not taking my wardrobe into account, a lot has changed in the last year. We moved back from Baltimore, found (but have yet to move into -- don't ask) our perfect first house and, of course, we had you, my little slice of heaven. Just as I suspected, Sam, you have made our lives more amazing than we could have ever imagined. You're funny, and messy and quite the little dancing machine. You also love (and I mean love) Beyonce and Carrie Underwood, but really, who can blame you? They're amazeballs.

Most of all, Sam, you're just a really happy kid. Which is what makes me so happy every single day. So happy in fact that your dad and I are sitting here right now, reclining on the couch, sipping champagne and toasting to a job well done. Well, at least so far. Because just like last year, we're still feeling a bit scared, and we'll surely mess up a couple thousand times more than we already have (trust me, there have been some doozies), but one thing's still for certain, baby boy -- everything about the world is better with you in it.

I repeat, I'm a total cheeseball mother.

I love you, my little sweet potato. Happy new year.

xoxo
Mom

3 comments:

Kristin said...

xo

The Gearys said...

Sam, Sara, and Anson,
I heart all 3 of you!
xo!!

Jill said...

Sara Brown-- that little one is so wonderful because he has you & Anson for parents. For reals-- he is the lucky one. Miss you!