8.30.2011

at the risk of sounding sassy...

Vintage Sara & Sam. Pre "I love you, Mom, but be prepared to have this plastic cup chucked at your face" moments. Ah, memories.

Today was not a bad day. It wasn't particularly crazy...or hectic...or frustrating. It was just a normal get-a-zillion-things-done-while-tending-to-Sam's-every-need kind of day. I love these days, but they're not exactly a piece of cake. Trust me, there are no soap operas on the couch while popping bon-bons and painting my nails -- a silly stereotype, I know, but a stereotype that does tend to come to mind when you hear the term "stay-at-home mom."

And that's what I am. A stay-at-home mom. Sure, when people ask, I tell them I'm a writer (and I am), but 90 percent of my days are spent making scrambled eggs, reading The Very Hungry Caterpillar over and over again, and tending to mini meltdowns. (We've yet to hit the full-blown tantrums, but trust -- they're coming.) Sure, I spend many a naptime and bedtime interviewing people from my kitchen table, writing freelance stories and sometimes even blogging, but that's not even close to being my full-time occupation.

Do I feel 100 percent positive about this new roll in my life every single day? No. But does it make me happy every day? Yes. And is it challenging every day? Um, definitely.

It's because of this, that I was particularly tickled to receive this archived article from my stepmother-in-law, Sandy, this afternoon. My mom has long been a fan of Carolyn Hax, advice columnist for the Washington Post, and oftentimes passes along her words of wisdom to me. She's even suggested I try to have an advice column of my own to be just like Carolyn Hax. Oh Mom, I love you, but don't you know that would mean I'd have to actually have some idea of what I'm talking about when it comes to, well, anything?!?

Anyway....I know this particular column is a bit sassy and, truthfully, I can't even really relate to it because I don't have a single friend or family member who's not supportive or understanding of my lifestyle. But sometimes, no matter if you're a working mom, a stay-at-home mom or a single mom (amazing, party of one, your table is now available), you just need a little validation. Someone else to say, "I understand where you're coming from, momma! And lady, you rock."

So thanks, Carolyn (and Sandy) for this little late-afternoon read. It made me smile -- quite a feat when your 18-month-old is chucking sippy cups and Crocs at you from across the room.

Good times, friends. Good times.

3 comments:

Clare said...

So true! Dave and I spent a couple of days this summer with one of our friends who is a freelance editor/stay-at-home mom of two kids, and it was exhausting! I am amazed that you guys are able to get any writing/editing work done at all...once the kids were in bed, all I wanted to do was pass out on the couch.

Si Si said...

It has been a long time since mine were little but I distinctly remember a very good friend asking me "What do you do all day"? Another friend arrived mid day to meet Evan and wondered if I was sick since I was still in my jammies at 2:00 p.m. (hee hee)
Enjoy every minute of these hectic crazy "stay at home mom" days - before you know it they will be driving and then off to college! xoxo

sally said...

I'm with SiSi! enjoy every stinkin' minute of it! And know how important what you are doing is. Terrific little man, followed by sure to be terrific little lady! It gets more hectic, more exhausting, more rewarding, more hilarious, and more amazing every day. Before you know it, they are taller than you and asking for the car keys!