11.13.2011

déjà vu.

When you have your second baby, you face countless moments throughout the day when you feel like -- wait a second -- have I been here before? That numb feeling in your tailbone after holding a sleeping baby on the couch for hours on end ... changing your sweatpants (yet again) after being peed on (yet again) by a 7-pound tiny human ... slamming your toe into your kitchen cabinets while fumbling to make a bottle in the middle of the night -- yeah, it all seems strangely familiar.

With my two little beans, though, those moments are where the similarities seem to stop. Sam sucked down bottles and then proceeded to spew the contents back out at you at warp speed. Audrey, on the other hand, will fall asleep with a bottle in her mouth -- she'd much rather snooze than eat. (A girl after her my own heart.) Sam liked to be wrapped up in his straight jacket of a swaddle blanket 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Audrey's limbs are much to spaztastic for that kind of physical restraint. And yes, Sam has pretty much been a ginger since day one, where Audrey's head is covered in light blond fuzz. Actually, let's just call it like it is, shall we? The girl's bald. Straight bald.

But, when I look into both of their sweet little faces, I am reminded of one striking resemblance between the two: the Brown/Scott schnoz. Seriously kiddos, my apologies for the tragic situation in the nose department. As you get older, I'll try to tell you that your dad is mostly to blame for this, but that's not really fair. Between Scotty and Bibi, you never really stood a chance.

On the upside, you'll now be well trained in the art of zinc oxide application. We'll never have to worry about you getting a nose ring to highlight your dainty little nostrils. And, if you're really lucky, you'll be a master at balancing silverware on the tip of your nose for extended periods of time. After all, it's all about surface area, kids, and trust me, you've got plenty of it.

4 comments:

Deborah S. Bosley, Ph.D. said...

When both kids are older, I'll teach them how to stick a spoon to their nose. Comes in handy on bad dates.

Janet Scott said...

And Scotty can hang two spoons off his nose at once. With tricks like that up their sleeves, these kids will impress the masses in college some day.

The Gearys said...

OMG, I love those little nuggets! And their noses are perfect in my opinion. I can't wait to see if Baby Audrey is a blondie!!

Si Si said...

I personally love little bald beautiful babies. Kathryn was bald her first two years. Aunt Pam always said they are easier to clean up after a meal! Shhhh don't tell S & A but those noses grow as they reach adulthood! I LOVE all the Brown noses!!!